Why call it a Practice?
It’s a practice because it's akin to how the buddhists would term meditation.. a practice is something you do, daily. Therefore it is a doingness, and not just ‘talking about it with your friends’.
You want to get good at freethrows, go out and throw a few freethrows... Don’t sit around thinking how nice it would be if you found tie to throw some freethrows.
There is a caveat about the thinkingness part though, you should be aware of. Or in other words, let’s not totally dismiss the mind off the get go… The caveat is visualization, which can actually help one improve.
Visualization is the mental act of using your mind’s eye and imagining doing something. This isn’t just imagining it in a static way… it’s going through the steps of something…. imagining doing it step by step, rather than physically doing it. But that's still more involved than just 'thinking about it'
There’s all kinds of performance improvement information on visualization in the area of sports-coaching, specifically around psycho-cybernetics
When you login, it gives you some ‘default’ options:
- Doing X pushups per day
- Reading one Wikipedia article a day
- Reading something spiritual
- That kind of thing
I’m doing this because I want to see how this whole whositawhatsit will modify my existence. Since I do much of this kind of daily activities to keep myself on my toes, tracking it is really what I need.
I don't believe anything does anything to you unless you let it, by the way. It’s really about the ‘you’ in the equation… But a 'system' that allows you to track how often you do the things that really matter to you is a win win imho
No comments:
Post a Comment